Allergies - tis' the season
The wind is blowing and that is an allergy sufferer nightmare. If you are one of our dear allergy victims, this post is for you!
The natural drug-free ways to get relief.
1. Increasing intake of greens rich in iron and vitamin C are ways to improve your immunity. Foods like horseradish are helpful in clearing your sinuses.
2. Use Neti pot/sinus rinse (if you take a shower everyday, its pertinent to wash your eyes and nose too. These practices were considered as a part of a daily routine in the olden days) twice a day with luke warm water, sea salt, baking soda and a drop or two of teatree/eucalyptus oil. Using apple cider vinegar in the mix can also be beneficial. Cleaning out the insides of the nose and the sinuses are helpful in removing the pollen that you would have come across during the day and hence alleviate symptoms produced by them.
3. You can also buy Stinging nettle from health food stores. They act like anti-histamines and block the production of histamine when you experience allergy symptoms.
4. Taking a good probiotic with different types of cultures is important to improve gut health. Gut health in turn helps in building immunity.
5. Use cool air humidifier/essential oil diffuser(lavendar/teatree/eucalyptus/peppermint oils can be used to decrease congestion and open up nasal passages) in your house to keep the sinuses and the mucosal lining of the nose moist.
6. A supplement Quercetin, a natural plant-derived compound called a bioflavonoid helps stabilize mast cells and prevents them from releasing histamine.
6. Using raw bee pollen from local sources or raw unfiltered honey will help your body adapt to the local pollens over a period of time.
7. Homeopathic remedies like Allium Cepa(Onion), Euphrasia, Urtica(stinging nettle) and Sambucus are common remedies that can be used to alleviate allergy symptoms.
If your allergy symptoms are chronic or severe, it is best to consult a Homeopath. Homeopathy takes into consideration the uniqueness of every individual and hence a remedy that is as unique as you, can help strengthen your immunity and free of allergy symptoms for not hours, but for years.